Ladybird's Flight: Aleesah Darlison's Canberra workshops

Saturday 27 May 2017

Aleesah Darlison's Canberra workshops

I recently attend two sessions with Aleesah Darlison, author Guest Speaker and Owner of Greenleaf Press.

Aleesah has written more than 35 books including picture books and chapter books for children. In 2016 she founded Greenleaf Press to provide assistance to Authors, Illustrators and Small Business Owners.

The first session was at Libraries ACTDickson branch on Social Media.
Alessah spoke about Social Media at an introductory level, specifically; Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Aleesah showing how her header & photo are the same on all of her Social Media platforms.
I learnt more. 
Got some great tips. 
Plus I had a chance to network with other Canberra authors. 

Cate Whittle, Krys and Brownyn

Now to apply some of this new knowledge. 

This talk helped me make some decisions and for now you will only find me here on Facebook or on my blog, Ladybird's FlightBut, I may pop up on Twitter so I can be part of the ALIA Picture Book Club.

The second session was a workshop on Creating Perfect Picture Books at the ACT Writers Centre.

A huge thanks to Aleesah for guiding us though this workshop on picture books. 



I now have a better understanding of the basics for writing a Picture Book and the way a manuscript should look - in general terms. 

This was the first time I have ever shared my writing with anyone. While this was a little scary, I felt comfortable in sharing my soul, as the people in the room proved to be supportive group.  Now it is time to actually begin editing my stories so I can begin to submit them to competitions and publishers. This course has given me more confidence to move to the next step.

The day was also a great opportunity to get to know some fellow SCBWI members better and a chance to meet new people.


Leanne with authors Genevieve Hopkins, Shaye Wardrop and Nicole Goodwin 
For more about some of our local authors please follow the links below;

Nichole Goodwin or at Tusk Books
Genevieve Hopkins
Shaye Wardrop
Cate Whittle



No comments:

Post a Comment